So we've been pretty lucky with Remy so far. Thank F he sleeps like a champ, and pwetty please, knock on wood, let's hope it continues. But having a little baby back in the house reminds me of all the things we did to get Austin to sleep, and also with Remy too (though no where near as much work) and then all of the things people do and say when you’re trying to get your baby to sleep. This time round, I can see the humour in it. But um.... it wasn't so funny when baby number one refused to sleep. I'm sure there are a heap more, but here are my top eight things people say and do when you're trying your damn best to get the baby to sleep (and to stay asleep):
1. “Oh he looks so tired” most often said in a high pitched voice right in the baby's face
2. “Oh he's eyes are still open.” Mmm hmm, they will be if you keep staring at him like that
3. “He made a sound, he must be awake!” person runs quickly over to the baby to stare, prod, and try to pick it up. Yep, effectively making sure the baby will neverrrrr fall asleep.
4. *person starts singing baby a song *song is doing the opposite of getting baby to sleep
5. “He's not tired, he just slept”
6. “I don't think he's happy to go to sleep” Ok, he made just one teensy weensy sound. I'm preeeety sure he will survive.
7. Random person on the street “oh looooook a sleeping baby!!!!” Argh. Not any more. Thanks a lot stranger.
8. And the biggest culprit of all meeeeee, dropping all the heavy things, walking into walls and making all the loud noises while trying to be SOOO quiet. Why am I always the most clumsy when trying to be all stealth around the house?