I cannot believe it but our baby is turning one in five days, crazy! Before the little man was on his way there were certain things I swore I would never do and now one year later I can safely look back and eat my words completely. So, here are the eight things I swore I would never do and now do all the time:
- Speak to baby in the third person. “Mummy’s going to change your nappy then we have to get going!”
- Speak to baby in public like they understand (including goo goo gaga). Yep, do this all the time. Have completely stopped caring if people hear and think I’m mad
- Expect people to ooh and aah over my child. What do you mean you’re not interested in my baby? He is surely the most amazing thing on this earth! Right? Right?
- Change our lives to suit the baby. Ah yeah. This is a good one. Everyone knows how you’re “not going to let the baby change your life. They’ll fit right in!” Sure….. famous last words
- Phone while pramming. That is walking along with the pram while staring down at my phone so that I weave all over the footpath. Oncoming foot traffic have no hope of getting around. Sorrrry!
- Ask baby questions as if they can understand and answer. “What do you want to do today Austin? Should we go to the park?” Austin is 11 months old. We may be waiting a while
- Get angry at people for doing normal things because my baby is sleeping. Talking loudly (or quietly, or at all), laughing, beeping their car horn. You a** holes!
- Take baby to places that non-baby people deem inappropriate. The pub, a nice restaurant, a going away party. Yep, he’s our permanent plus one and we couldn’t be happier